Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Dealing with my own biases.

Coming off my Fantasy post previously, I had to face a few things. I have strong biases as to the type of game I'm looking for and sometimes they detract from me enjoying exactly what I might need.

Let's talk GURPS. I was wrong. Very wrong. Everything I know about GURPS is 3rd Edition. I have a full collection of 4E books and they are just sitting there on my shelf for the the last, gods, 9 years. 9 years and I haven't played GURPS because when 4E came out my groups changed. I casually read the updated books and thought "I'll eventually play this." But I haven't. So I was wrong in my understanding. There is no more Passive Defence, they wrote rules into handle escalating skills, and getting killed is not as easy as it use to be. But in my mind's eye I still see GURPS in 3E term, with all the warts and issues.

How much do you want to bet my understanding of HERO 6th isn't that much different? Since I stopped playing when 6th came out.

The biggest obstruction to me enjoying a good game is ME. Sometimes I'm too much of a gronard for my own good. I had a bias in mind wen I was looking for a new Fantasy game. And no matter what other people would offer me, no matter the explanations my bias sat there in my head and heart saying "No. I want THIS." The problem? "This" was a non-reality. I had no idea what "this" was. I was really waiting for something to catch my attention and make me enjoy it. What a horrible backwards unproductive way to go about looking for games.

But it is what it is. We all have to live with our biases.

I don't like FATE very much, but I have a copy of FATE Core. Why? Because it's so well loved I keep hoping someone will run a game and give me a taste of WHY they like it so much. I can't see that reading the book myself, but I WANT to find that love. I'm sure there is a FATE game out there one day with my name on it. Haven't found it, or it hasn't found me. But I'll give it a chance when it does.

Truth be told, I should give more games a chance. Tim Kirk pointed me to High Valor a new RPG of his and I'm going to give it a look. Even though I can't look at the cover and help think Manzinger is a Fane-Lord. I'm sorry, I can't unsee it.

And hell, I know I said no levels, but maybe I should give Dungeon Crawl Classics and 13th Age another look, no?

Even though I did ready 13th Age and found the setting lacking, the rules were serviceable enough.

It's a Catch 22 sometimes, you can so easily blind yourself by setting to harsh of limitations on what you will try to play or offer to your group. But if you don't set boundaries you'll never have time to run them all.

And biases are there for a reason. They just shouldn't rule your gaming life.

Now if only I can take my own advice, no?