Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Building my "Numenera" Beanstalk!

So ya. I've had the pdfs for Numenera for quite a while now. Well, I cleared out some old books in my collection and gave myself a very, VERY, happy early Birthday with all the current Numenera/The Strange books in print. (And the GM Screen.) So...ya.


I've got new toys to play with. And I must say they are quite awesome. But now that I have these books and tools it's about time I do something with them.

In my case I want to hit up the Planes of Kataru in the Beyond (think eastern frontier) and the massive enigmatic tower called the Beanstalk. Anyone savy with sci-fi tropes knows a Beanstalk is another name for a space elevator. Typically equatorial in design, but thanks to the techno-magic of the 9th World this one is located quite a distance south of the 9th's World Equator. This paradox is powerful enough to cause a number of small mountain sized rocks to float around it most likely to gravity distortions keeping it upright.Wicked!

Now I've read some stories of prior GM's playing up the whole Jack and The Beanstalk story as a place to mind ideas and quite a few sound awesome. Me however, I like the idea of playing with the concept of  "Giant" and instead cook up a more Norse inspired adventure. I'm going to call my proto-campaign "Mimir's Tears".

Now I don't want to talk too much about my general plans for the adventure to spoil it for potential players, but I did want to talk about my process of using the Beanstalk as a narrative adventure tool. First off the Beanstalk being a space elevator allows me to not only build the 'base' dungeon/lab/base of opreations and then detail out all the various stops along the way.

This allows me to build little micro dungeon/cities/locations the PC's can visit on their way upwards along the elevator. Think of it like Ronald Dahl's Charley and the Glass Elevator but with more blasters and mutant things. Waystations, space colonies, maybe even little asteroid bubble worlds tailed for lost civilizations now a half ruined and ripe for claiming? If you think about it the Beanstalk might be a more obvious entrance to an orbital Menzoberranzan full of mutant space colonists worshiping dark space goddesses.

And it allows me to play up the concept of Giants in all sorts of playful ways. I might be using Norse mythology for my current project but nothing is stopping me from peppering in Greco-Roman or perhaps Jinn, Formorians, Asuras, Hekatonkheires, or Nephilim if I like. I could build a pantheon of Giant themed things up there. Machine, Mutant, or even completely alien. How Stargate of me?

The final think to consider is this is one of the prefect jumping off points for a Numenera space game. Sometimes later this year Monte Cook Games is going to publish the "space book" and well, I'd love to lay the foundation and well..'camp' for the PC's to have access to this new realm and maybe give them something mind blowing like a old rogue spaceship that flies around the local system going to lost worlds, etc. Phantasy Star in all but name.

So you can see why I'm excited about this games potential. Later posts about it will cover exactly what I did with a 'Norse' themed game. And my personal review and experience with playing Numenera as the game goes on.

For those interested I plan on running it via (correction) Hangouts and Roll20 on Thursday nights around 8pm EST/EDT.

As well as: D20 LFG Listing For Mimir's Tears!

See ya then!